Released: 03 October 2012 Download PDF
- Headline figures
- Business counts by legal form
- Business counts by broad industry
- Business counts by UK region
- Local unit site information
- Background notes
- Statistical contacts
- The number of VAT and/or PAYE businesses is estimated to have risen by 37,000 (1.8 per cent) between March 2011 and March 2012.
- Companies and public corporations represent 61.9 per cent of total businesses.
- The largest industry group is wholesale and retail, with 16.8 per cent of all registered businesses.
- London has the largest number of VAT and/or PAYE based businesses, with 16.7 per cent of the UK total. In comparison London has 15.6 per cent of UK employment.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.1.0.