Released: 09 June 2015 – Download PDF
- Main points
- Main figures
- Longer-term perspective
- Value of UK trade in goods
- Trade in goods – analysis by area
- Trade in goods – geographical analysis
- Volume of total trade in goods, excluding oil and erratics
- Export and import prices for trade in goods (not seasonally adjusted)
- Trade in oil
- Trade in services
- Records sheet
- Background notes
- Statistical contacts
- UK Trade shows the extent of import and export activity and is a main contributor to the overall economic growth of the UK. All data are shown on a seasonally adjusted balance of payments basis at current prices.
- The UK’s deficit on trade in goods and services was estimated to have been £1.2 billion in April 2015, compared with £3.1 billion in March 2015. This reflects a deficit of £8.6 billion on goods, partially offset by an estimated surplus of £7.4 billion on services.
- In April 2015, the trade in goods deficit narrowed by £2.1 billion. This reflects both an increase in exports and a decrease in imports. Exports of goods increased by £0.7 billion, of which £0.6 billion was attributed to countries outside of the EU. Imports of goods fell by £1.5 billion, reflecting falls in the imports of miscellaneous manufactures.
- In the 3-months to April 2015, the UK’s deficit on trade in goods and services was estimated to have been £7.2 billion; widening by £1.6 billion from the 3-months to January 2015.
- In the 3-months to April 2015, the trade in goods deficit widened by £1.0 billion to £30.0 billion. The widening reflects a £1.9 billion fall in exports and a £0.8 billion fall in imports. At the commodity level, the fall in exports in the 3-months to April 2015 reflects a £1.1 billion decrease in the export of fuels; specifically oil, which fell by £1.2 billion and a £0.6 billion decrease in the export of material manufactures. Over the same period, imports of chemicals fell by £0.6 billion and fuels by £0.3 billion.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.1.0.