More than 8 out of 10 micro businesses are based in the home, according to research by Lloyds Bank Insurance.
The report found that 84% of micro business owners have decided to base their business at their house, while more than half (53%) were started in the home.
The main reasons for working from home were:
- working from home provides more flexibility (84%)
- home-based businesses are cheaper to run (64%)
- working at home improves productivity (57%).
However, survey respondents admitted that working from home had drawbacks:
- 37% said they work more than they would like
- 36% said it makes their house messier
- 35% admitted to missing being around other work colleagues.
Damien McGarrigle, head of business insurance at Lloyds Bank Insurance, said that technology was driving changes to the traditional work-life balance:
“With the help of technology, the way we live and work is evolving with more and more people choosing to combine home and work where possible.”