Statistical bulletin: Index of Production, August 2013
Released: 09 October 2013 – Download PDF
- Key points
- Key figures
- Economic context
- GDP Impact and Components
- Production and sectors supplementary analysis
- Background notes
- Statistical contacts
- Users are reminded that all figures contained within this release are seasonally adjusted estimates.
- Production output decreased by 1.5% between August 2012 and August 2013. This decrease reflects falls of 0.2% in manufacturing (the largest component of production), 10.1% in mining & quarrying and 3.5% in the electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning sector.
- The main manufacturing components contributing to the decrease between August 2012 and August 2013 were the manufacture of machinery & equipment not elsewhere classified; the manufacture of basic pharmaceutical products & pharmaceutical preparations; and the manufacture of basic metals & metal products.
- The largest upward contribution between August 2012 and August 2013 was from the manufacture of transport equipment, which rose by 12.5%. The majority of this strength came from the manufacture of motor vehicles, trailers & semi trailers.
- Total production decreased by 1.1% between July 2013 and August 2013. There were downward contributions from all four main sectors, with manufacturing decreasing by 1.2% after two consecutive increases.
- The main components contributing to the decrease in manufacturing between July 2013 and August 2013 were the manufacture of basic pharmaceutical products & pharmaceutical preparations; the manufacture of computer, electronic & optical products; and the manufacture of food products, beverages & tobacco.
- In this release, revisions from January 2012 to June 2013 are consistent with data published in the Quarterly National Accounts Q2 2013 released 26 September 2013. In addition there are revisions to July 2013 data in accordance with the usual National Accounts revisions policy.
Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.1.0.